Thursday, June 18, 2009

Foot work

I've been making progress with Daisy's feet. Monday I picked up her rear feet for the first time! It was so awesome. After the first one my heart was beating so fast from the excitement that I had to calm myself down so I could pick up the other one. She was so willing, she suprised me, she didn't do her normal 'jerk' reaction where she tries to pick up her foot really quickly. It was just nice & soft. I held it for maybe ten seconds or so then let her have it back. Then it was hugs, kisses, and praise galore!!

I picked them Tuesday too, and held them a little bit longer. She was still good about it.

this is such a huge hurdle for us!! Its amazing after you start working with those feet the rear end starts to be less intimidating!! I even called a gal up in GV to come and trim her feet on the 27th. I'm definitely going to be taking a lot of pictures. I want to get good before & afters of her feet. Her heels have grown out quite a bit & look very strange. It will be nice to get her on a regular trimming schedule. From what her last owner told me she hasn't been trimmed since last fall!! She definitely needs it.

I've won a girth for her on Ebay. I really hope it fits, it should, if I measured correctly ( yes I did put the saddle on, then measured :) ). I also ordered a crupper, since I know that is a must with my wither-less donkey.

so hopefully that will mean lots of pics of Daisy all tacked up. Planning on using the saddle as a training tool too for ground driving.

I might even try to the bridle on her this weekend. I really haven't made a decision if I'm going to use a bit on her or not. I guess I'll have to wait & see how she deals with it. My other option is a rope halter that has rings on the cheeks so it's like a side-pull.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am an artist who tries different mediums. I airbrush, graphite, braiding, and now I'm obsessed with sewing. I created this blog to keep all my creations in one place. Like an online portfolio. Thanks for looking. to check out my items for sale on etsy - www.akyramoto.etsy.com

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Followers